If you’re beginning your journey into the world of vaping, you may hear about many different types of pens that you can use to ingest cannabis, CBD, and other substances. Vape pens, wax pens, dab pens – what are the differences between these products, and what requirements come with their usages? Here’s what you need to know about the differences between vape pens and dab or wax pens.
What Are Vape Pens?
Vape pens are battery-powered devices used to inhale vapors produced by oil or liquid cartridges. Vape pens are often rechargeable and can accept a variety of different oil cartridges.
Vape pens contain four main components:
- The tank that contains the vaping liquid or oil
- The atomizer that turns the liquid or oil into vapor to inhale using heat
- The sensors that control the vaping power, atomizer, voltage, and other mechanisms
- The battery that powers the device
When you inhale from a vape pen, you suck the vape liquid or oil into the atomizer which uses heat to turn the liquid into vapor. You inhale the vapor through your mouth to feel the effects of your chosen substance.
What Are Wax Pens?
Wax vaporizers are similar in design to vape pens, but they do not vaporize liquid or oil. Instead, wax pens melt down wax concentrates of cannabis and other substances. Wax pens have a battery to power the device, a chamber with a heating coil to melt to wax, and a mouthpiece for easy inhalation. Since wax pens use a great deal of heat, a steel casing usually protects the user from burning their hands.
What Are Dab Pens?
Dab pens are devices that users only utilize to consume dabs. Dabs are small concentrates of THC, used to produce more potent effects than traditional cannabis inhalation. Dab pens contain the same components as vape pens and operate using similar functions. You place the dab onto coils included on the pen, which heat and melt the dab onto a wick. This wick absorbs the dab liquid and further heats it into a vapor, which you can inhale.
Many people refer to dab pens and wax pens interchangeably. While these devices are very similar in that they both use THC concentrates, not oils or liquids, you can only use dab concentrates with dab pens. You cannot use dab concentrates with wax pens.
Similarities Between Wax Pens, Dab Pens, and Vape Pens
There are a few main similarities between wax pens, dab pens, and vape pens. Wax pens and dab pens are very similar, since dab pens are technically a form of wax pens that use a specialized concentrate. While dab pens and wax pens are quite different from liquid and oil vape pens, all three devices have some similarities.
- Vape, wax, and dab pens are all very portable. They are usually small, sleek, and you can tuck them away for easy carrying. Sometimes, you can even purchase a carrying case for use on the go.
- All three devices are extremely easy to use. Depending on the make and model, you can usually use these pens with the press of a button and an inhale. Dab pens and wax pens usually have a more complicated process.
- Wax, dab, and vape pens are also very discreet. You can easily carry them in a purse, bag, or pocket, and enjoy a vape quickly and at any appropriate time.
- Vape, dab, and wax pens also have temperature control features for safety purposes. In many pens, you can choose the temperature at which you want to operate your device.
- All three devices use similar batteries and units of energy storage. Oil and wax consumption usually use the same amount of battery energy.
Differences Between Wax Pens, Dab Pens, and Vape Pens
You should know several key differences between these three devices prior to investing in a pen.
- Wax pens and dab pens use wax concentrate and dabs, while vape pens usually use liquid or oil.
- In vape pens, you load an oil cartridge in the device to use. With wax pens and dab pens, you load small amounts of dab concentrate or wax into a coil in order to use them.
- Wax pens and dab pens can be quite messy when loaded by hand. Vapes use pre-loaded cartridges for greater convenience and less mess.
- Wax and dab pens use a higher temperature than vape pens. Wax and dab pens often require temperatures of 350 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, while vape pens usually require 315 to 385 degrees.
- Wax and dab pens can get dirty and sticky quickly due the loading process. You will have to scrape away lots of wax to clean it regularly, and may need to replace the coil. Vape pens do not require as much maintenance and do not usually cause a mess with regular use.