A wooden dugout is a small, easily concealable container that's specifically designed for storing and smoking cannabis. It's essentially a two-in-one device with acompartment for your stash and a built-inone-hitter pipe.
Not only does it look way cooler than carrying around a Ziploc baggie, but wooden dugouts are easy to use—and even easier to make.
What is a wooden dugout
No, you're not playing ball when you break out a wooden dugout—you're indulging in a classic cannabis smoking method that's been around since the 70s. This age-old device consists of two parts: a small, wooden box (the "dugout") that you use to store your stash and a pipe (the "one-hitter”) that's disguised to look like a cigarette.
As you may have guessed by the secretive nature of it all, wooden dugouts are designed specifically for on-the-go,quick hits. This isn't the kind of smoking device you want to use when you're planning on sitting down and enjoying a leisurely joint. It's what you want to bring with you when you only need a little bit of weed to get the job done.
Benefits of using a wooden dugout include:
- They're small and easily concealable
- They're quick and easy to use
- They eliminate the mess that comes withrolling joints
- You can control your dosage more easily
- They're relatively inexpensive to buy (and make)
While wooden dugouts have been around for decades, they've seen a recent resurgence in popularity. In fact, they've become something of a trendy item in the cannabis community. Thanks to their sleek design and easy portability, wooden dugouts are the perfect way to enjoy a quick smoke—without drawing attention to yourself.
How to make a wooden dugout step-by-step
If you're feeling crafty, you can easily make your own wooden dugout at home. All you need is a few simple materials and a little bit of time. Follow these steps to make your very own wooden dugout:
- Step 1: Saw your block of wood in half. If you're opting to use a handsaw, make sure you clamp the wood down, so it doesn't move around while you're sawing. You'll only need one half to make your dugout, so you can use the other half to make one for a (lucky) friend.
- Step 2:Take 1/2 inch out of the longest side of the wood to use for your top and bottom.
- Step 3: Mark your holes on the narrow top of the wood. Make the hole for the pipe slightly bigger than the pipe you're using. Make the second hole wider as it will be storing your stash. Leave around 2 to 3 millimeters of thickness for each hole's wall, and make sure that the wall in between the two holes is thick.
- Step 4: Drill the holes, making sure to go slowly. If you drill too quickly, the wood could split. Don't be afraid to drill multiple holes for your stash chamber.
- Step 5: Use the chisel to smooth out the holes and remove any excess wood.
- Step 6: Nail the lid to the separating wall between the two holes.
- Step 7: Sandpaper the entire dugout so it's smooth to the touch.
Tools you need for making a wooden dugout
You may not need to be a master woodmaker to make a wooden dugout, but you will need access to some basic tools. Here's what you'll need to get started:
- Wood: You can use any type of wood you want, but a 4-inch square block of mahogany, beech, maple, or rosewood is ideal.
- A saw: You'll need either a table saw or a handsaw to cut the wood.
- A drill and drill bits: You'll need a drill to create the hole for the pipe. Make sure you have a variety of drill bits on hand (at least a 3/4 or 1") so you can create a hole that's the right size for your pipe.
- Speed square or ruler:You'll need this to make sure your cuts are straight.
- Sandpaper:Once you've cut and drilled the wood, you'll need to sand it down to make it smooth.
- Vice grips: You'll need a pair of vice grips to hold the pipe in place while you drill the hole.
- Chisel:You'll need a chisel to create the groove for the pipe.
- Finishing nails and a hammer: You'll use these to secure the pipe in place.
- Safety gear: Make sure you have a good pair of goggles and earplugs before you get started.
Pretty much all the items on this list can be found at your local hardware store. So, even if you don't have all the tools on hand, they're easy (and inexpensive) to come by.
To sum it up
A wooden dugout is a great way to enjoy a quick, discreet smoke. Thanks to their sleek design, you can make one at home with just a few simple materials. Just follow the steps above, and you'll have your own wooden dugout in no time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you make a one-hitter dugout?
The process for making a one-hitter dugout is very simple. All you need is a 4-inch block of wood, a drill, a saw, and some sandpaper. Cut the block of wood in half, and cut a 1/2 inch out of the longest side of the wood for the lid.
Then, use the drill to create two holes—one for the pipe and one for the stash. Be sure to leave around 2 to 3 millimeters of thickness for each hole's wall, and make sure that the wall in between the two holes is thick.
Next, use the chisel to smooth out the holes and remove any excess wood. Finally, nail the lid to the separating wall between the two holes and sandpaper the entire thing.
How do you use a wood dugout?
To use a wood dugout, simply remove the lid and pack finely ground cannabis into the larger hole. Replace the lid, and then insert your pipe into the smaller hole. Light the cannabis, and enjoy your quick smoke.
What is a dugout shelter?
A dugout shelter is the hole in the dugout where you store your cannabis. It's typically wider than the pipe hole, and it's where you'll pack your bowl.