As the cannabis industry slowly expands and marijuana becomes legalized in different parts of the world, more people are becoming interested in learning new ways of consuming cannabis. While rolling a joint has been the most common way of consuming cannabis, weed pipes have recently gained prominence.
That said, buying your first weed pipe can be a bit challenging. Between learning the lingo, finding a reputable vendor, and choosing a suitable pipe that fits your unique needs, there is a lot to learn and several factors to consider. This post will walk you through everything you need to know when purchasing your first pipe, including how to select the right size and material and even how to use the pipe.
Choosing Your First Pipe
Several factors go into finding and purchasing the right cannabis pipe, especially given the wide range of choices available in the market today. Here's a look at the key factors:
Pipes are usually made using almost any material capable of withstanding heat. However, the best quality pipes are usually made using briar—this material is dense and can not only withstand the heat but can also help provide a cool, dry smoke. When selecting a briar pipe, ensure you pay attention to the grain, fills, and finish.
Other common materials used to make pipes include:
- Clay:While these pipes are inexpensive, they are fragile and often heat up in the smoker's hand.
- Corn cob: Pipes made from corn cobs can be excellent for beginners, especially if you're trying to determine whether you enjoy pipe smoking. These pipes are inexpensive and smoke without requiring a break in a smoking period. However, the rustic nature of corn cob pipes is an aesthetic issue for some people. Additionally, they tend to last for a short duration.
- Meerschaum: Pipes made from meerschaum are usually beautifully carved. These pipes are lightweight, making them ideal for long, relaxing smoking sessions. However, they are relatively costly and require extra care.
- Glass:These pipes produce an intense, full-body hit and don't get hot when you touch them. They are easy to use and clean. The transparent nature of glass pipes allows you to see the smoke enter and leave the chamber sa you inhale. The downside of these pipes is that they are delicate. So it's important to handle them carefully.
The pipes can also be made using wood, ceramic, metal, and stone.
If you've taken time to browse the selection of pipes for sale in various stores, you've probably noticed that the pipes come in different sizes. And it is not just the stem lengths that vary; the bowl sizes also vary. Generally, pipes with larger bowls tend to offer longer smoke. So unless you're looking for a pipe to use during your short work breaks, it's advisable to choose something middle-sized, so you can enjoy longer smoking durations. However, if you are looking for more control when dosing a hit, smaller pipes are suitable, given their smaller bowls.
The construction of a pipe will depend on the material; from which it is made. Before buying a pipe, consider the following aspects of its construction:
- Air hole: The air hole of your pipe should be at the center and bottom of its bowl. This is because it can be difficult for cannabis to burn below the region where the hole is drilled.
- Part alignment: Check where the shank and the stem join. These areas should fit perfectly to make it easier for you to clean the pipe. Suppose the air pathways aren't optimal due to a poor fit; you may experience unpleasant moisture condensation when smoking.
There are different types of weed pipe styles that you can choose from, including:
- One-hitters: These pipes have a cylindrical tube shape and are usually made from different materials, including metal, wood, glass, and stone. Their design makes them ideal for discreteness. While these pipes are relatively small, they have enough space for a decently-sized marijuana hit.
- Spoon pipes: These spoon-shaped pipes are among the most common styles and are usually straightforward to use. Spoon pipes are generally made using glass and are usually easy to carry and clean.
- Water pipes: These pipes use water to cool the smoke and provide a smoother and more refined flavor. Water pipes boast elegant designs, whether complex, ornate, or simple. There are two types of water pipes: bubblers and bongs. Bubblers are smaller in size, making them more portable. However, they are more difficult to clean. On the other hand, bongs are larger, customizable, and easier to clean. They usually have a stronger taste and are therefore recommended for experienced smokers.
- Foldable pipes: These pipes are designed specifically for portability and stealth. They come in different shapes, colors, and sizes. Foldable pipes are lightweight, available in various materials, and easy to use.
For your first pipe, it's recommended you go for Apple or a classic straight Billiard. These shapes are easy to smoke and have been tried and tested for generations. You can also go for a slightly curved half-bent shape. We advise against strongly curved pipes if you're a beginner. This is because curved pipes usually condensate and therefore need to be smoked more slowly and attentively. A skill that most first-time pipe users may not have.
Pipes are available at a wide range of prices. They can cost as little as $20 to well over $1,000, depending on their features and the materials used to make them. When buying a pipe, you should choose one that provides the greatest value for money. That said, it's important to note that a lower price doesn't necessarily mean a loss of quality.
How to Use a Pipe
Smoking a pipe is a leisurely activity that requires you to give yourself time to slow things down for a while. Once you have created time to enjoy a good pipe, here are the steps for using the pipe:
- Use your fingers to tear the cannabis flower into tiny bits or grind it in a grinder (if you own one).
- Fill the bowl of your pipe with a few pinches of the ground herb
- Upon packing the bowl, put the pipe to your mouth to take a test draw.
- Suppose your test draw is fine; ignite the bowl using a hemp wick or lighter while inhaling from the mouthpiece. Suppose there's a carb; ensure you cover the carb hole with your finger or thumb while inhaling the first half of your puff.
- Finally, release your thumb or finger to allow air to flow into the carb hole while inhaling the second half of your hit.
Suppose you're a cannabis beginner; it's advisable to start with small amounts in each bowl and pace your inhalations (wait several minutes between inhalations).
Pipes are gradually becoming the preferred way of consuming marijuana. That said, as a first-timer, you may find it challenging to buy your first pipe. By looking at factors such as material, size, shape, price, and style, you can acquire a pipe that meets both your budgetary and smoking needs.If you're intrigued by the idea of using a weed pipe, VESSEL can provide you with high-quality pipes and other cannabis products. Contact us today or browse our shop for excellent weed products.