Let's be honest—a good brownie can get you high as a kite. But if gooey fudge and melted chocolate just aren't doin' it for ya, sprinkling a dash (or two) of Mary Jane into your batter will send you to the moon. If you're looking to get your buzz on in the form of baked goods, here's everything you need to know about making cannabis brownies.
What Are Weed Brownies?
Weed brownies are a tasty treat made with marijuana-infused butter or cooking oil. These edibles offer the same effects as smoking weed or using a one-hitter but in an oh-so-delicious, sweet vehicle. No ugly coughs or ashtrays needed. Just a good ol' dose of THC in your favorite childhood dessert.
Remember that these aren't your mother's brownies. Cannabis brownies can be super potent—or total duds, especially when the baker fails to account for decarboxylation. Decarbing your well-grinded weed (heating it up in the oven at a specific temperature) is essential for converting the THC-A molecule into its psychoactive form, THC. Without decarbing, your brownies won't get you high.
For your first batch, start with a small dose of no more than 3 milligrams. Once you feel comfortable with that amount, you can slowly up it to 5 and 10 milligrams. No matter what dosage you use, always eat a smaller portion than you normally would. Edibles can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours to kick in. So the last thing you want is to over-indulge.
Marijuana brownie recipes are no different from traditional ones. You'll need all your usual kitchen utensils and ingredients, plus a few extra special items:
- Cannabis butter: Also referred to as cannabutter, this is the star ingredient in your weed brownie recipe. Cannabis butter can either be made from scratch or purchased at a dispensary.
- Eggs: Since eggs help bind and create structure, they're necessary to create the perfect texture.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa adds an extra layer of chocolaty flavor.
- Vanilla extract: This ingredient serves to enhance the flavor of your brownies.
- Salt: A pinch of salt brings out all the flavors in your batter.
- White sugar: To sweeten things up, white sugar is a must.
- Brown sugar: Another form of sweetness, brown sugar adds depth and richness to your treat.
- Baking Powder: This is an important ingredient that helps the brownies rise.
- Flour: All-purpose flour helps give the brownies a thick, chewy texture. You can opt for a gluten-free variety if you'd like.
- An 8x8 metal baking pan: A metal baking pan works best because it distributes heat evenly, resulting in gooey, evenly-baked brownies.
- A mixing bowl: High-quality mixing bowls are essential for combining all the ingredients together.
- A hand-mixer: To get that silky-smooth consistency, you'll need a trusty hand-mixer.
- Any other toppings you'd like: You can throw in chocolate chips, sea salt, nuts, sprinkles, caramel, or anything else that tickles your fancy.
Now that you've got all the supplies, let's get cooking! Here’s a simple cannabis brownie recipe you can use to make your own delicious marijuana-infused treats.
- ½ cup cannabis butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8 inch metal baking pan.
- Mix together cocoa powder, salt, flour, and baking powder in a bowl, adding the salt and baking powder last. Make sure to break up any clumps of flour and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cannabis butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with a hand mixer. Be sure to mix the ingredients until they are creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the cannabis butter mixture and continue to mix until everything is combined. Beat at a medium speed for at least one minute.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and continue to mix until everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into your greased baking pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Add any toppings you'd like and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
To Sum it Up
Making marijuana brownies is a fun and relatively easy baking project. All you need are the right ingredients, a few tools, and about 30 minutes of your time. Just make sure to play it safe with your dosage, as edibles can take a while to kick in. When it comes to cannabis brownies, a little goes a long way.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make vegan weed brownies?
You can! Just ditch the eggs and use vegan-approved cannabis-infused coconut oil instead of cannabutter. It won't mess with the flavor and will still result in delicious weed brownies.
Do weed brownie packets exist?
Yes—but they're not as easily accessible as your THC-less box of brownie mix. Cannabis-infused brownie mixes can sometimes be found at local dispensaries, depending on where you live.
How many brownies will a quarter of weed make?
It depends on how strong you want your brownies to be. Using the full quarter will give you just over one batch of brownies (considering you're using an 8x8-inch pan). But for a more mild dose, you may want to start with an eighth of weed. You can always adjust the potency in your next batch.
How much weed do I put in a tray of brownies?
Again, this will depend on how strong you want your weed brownies to be. It's always best to start with a smaller amount and work your way up. We recommend starting with a 1/8 ounce of weed per tray. But keep in mind that Cannabis affects everyone differently, so use caution and adjust the dosage accordingly.
How to use cannabutter to make brownies?
Cannabutter is the key ingredient for making marijuana brownies. Just make sure you melt it before adding it to your batter. Otherwise, you won't get the same silky-smooth consistency.