One hitters are as easy to clean as they are to smoke. If you’re unsure of how to clean your one hitter, we’re here to bring you the ultimate guide.
Compact and convenient, one hitters are a fan fave among even the most seasoned of smokers. Good for a quick hit or a private smoke sesh on-the-go, this type of pipe is handy enough to become a go-to everyday part of your routine. And you know what that means: frequently used pipes need to be frequently cleaned.
A one hitter is a discreet smoking device, convenient for on-the-go smoking. One hitters come in a variety of types and sizes. Typically made of glass, metal, or wood, these pipes also vary in shape. Though many smokers lean toward the slender dugout shape, one hitters can also have conical bowls (called a chillum) or round traditional bowls. No matter what your pipe may look like, cleaning a one hitter is straightforward and easy. Follow along with this guide to learn how to clean a one hitter in every possible way.
How to clean a one hitter step-by-step
Cleaning a one hitter is easy and requires very few supplies. Generally, cleaning a one hitter or chillum, such as Vessel’sHelix requires these few steps:
- Place pipe in ziploc bag
- Fill bag with cleaning solution (options below) until pipe is covered
- Shake to remove dirt and resin
- Rinse pipe and admire its cleanliness
Depending on the type of solution, however, these steps can differ. Read on to learn how to clean a one hitter pipe with a variety of solutions and tools.
How to clean a one hitter with alcohol
A grail for most smokers, the most popular way to clean glass, metal, and wooden one hitters is by using isopropyl alcohol. Mixed with salt and hot water, isopropyl alcohol removes resin and dirt from one hitters, bringing them back to life. Follow these simple steps to clean your pipe with alcohol.
- Get a Ziplock bag:take your one hitter pipe apart if necessary and place it in a plastic bag.
- Add alcohol: Completely submerge your one hitter in alcohol
- Add hot water: Add approximately 2 ounces of hot water to the bag with the pipe and alcohol
- Add salt: Add a tablespoon of coarse sea salt to the bag (it’s important that the salt is coarse! That texture will help break down gunk and resin)
- Shake and rinse:Shake it up! You can leave the one hitter in the mix to soak for 1-3 hours or overnight. When you’re satisfied with the cleanliness, gently remove the pipe from the solution, rinse, and carry on using your pipe as normal.
How to clean a one hitter without alcohol
If you’d prefer to not use alcohol, or simply just can’t find any, there are a multitude of ways to clean your one hitter without it. One popular way is by using salt and vinegar.
Follow the same steps as above, but replace the alcohol with white vinegar. Omit the water for a stronger solution, add salt, shake, and rinse. Your pipe should sparkle.
Alternatively, for a different natural solution, mix vinegar and baking soda in the Ziplock bag. Though the baking soda is not quite as effective as coarse salt—due to the difference in coarseness—this solution will still get your pipe crystal clean.
How to clean a one hitter with boiling water
- Take a toothpick and remove the residue stuck to the walls of the pipe’s bowl.
- Heat water on the stove at medium heat. Wait until the water is warm, and take enough water to rinse your pipe. Warming up the pipe before getting it into the boiling water will ensure it will not break with the hot temperature.
- When the water boils, remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place your pipe into a bowl and pour the water into it. Make sure the water completely covers the pipe and let it soak for one hour.
- Take the pipe out of the water with an oven mitt and rinse it with warm water. That way, the glass pipe will have a safe temperature transition.
- Grab a clean cotton swab and remove the remaining stains or dirt. Rinse the pipe with warm water again.
- Use a paper towel or a cloth piece to dry the pipe. Let the pipe rest for 20 to 30 minutes to let the remaining moisture dry.
How to clean a one hitter with hydrogen peroxide
Another alternative to using isopropyl alcohol is replacing it with hydrogen peroxide. Follow the same steps as you would when using alcohol, but use hydrogen peroxide in its place. Epsom salt can also be used as an alternative for a coarse salt.
How to clean a one hitter dugout
The one hitter dugout is typically a container to store your herb and a small pipe that looks like a cigarette. The small slender pipe serves as the one hitter, while the dugout serves as a case to carry the pipe and smoking material.
A one hitter dugout can be cleaned with the same steps as above:
- Place dugout and pipe in ziploc bag
- Fill bag with cleaning solution (isopropyl alcohol + hot water + salt is the most popular) until accessories are submerged
- Shake to remove dirt and resin
- For particularly grimy dugouts, soak overnight.
- Rinse and enjoy
To sum it up
Cleaning one hitters, chillums, and other glass pieces doesn't have to be a pain. Simply combine salt with vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, hot water, or isopropyl alcohol, and get your pipe looking good as new.
How do you clear a clogged one hitter?
A clogged one hitter can be cleared using a paper clip or pipe cleaner. To clean fully, submerge the pipe in a Ziplock bag with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol, hot water, and salt, shake, and rinse.
How do you get ash out of a one hitter?
A one hitter can be cleared by lightly tapping or blowing out the ash. Bigger debris/residue can be removed with a pin or paper clip.
Can you boil a one hitter?
Do not place a glass pipe directly in boiling water! Instead, wait for the water to cool and follow the steps above to learn how to use boiling water to clean your one hitter.
How often to clean a one hitter?
Most suggest at least once a week, unless visibly dirty.
How to clean a metal one hitter?
Metal one hitters can be cleaned using any method listed above.
How to clean a wooden one hitter?
Wooden one hitters can be cleaned using any method listed above.